Friday, March 22, 2013

Enchilada Casserole

For many years I have heard what a wonderful cookbook Tables of Content (from the Junior League of Birmingham) is.  Well, I finally purchased it and have made more recipes from it than the average cookbook.  If you don't have it, I highly recommend it.

One of the recipes I was told I MUST try was for the Enchilada Casserole.  I am going to list the recipe as I made it.  I had a few changes.

1 - 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained, then squeezed of excess water
1 1/2  cooked and drained ground beef
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 - 14 oz diced Mexican style tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilies
Juice of 1 lime
10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, quartered
1/2 cup butter melted
2 - 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Saute onions and garlic.  Add to ground beef along with cumin, red pepper, spinach, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chilies, and lime juice. Stir until combined.  Simmer, covered for about 10 minutes.

Dip the tortilla quarters in the melted butter.  Arrange 1/2 of the tortillas in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.  Spread with 1/2 of the ground beef mixture and sprinkle with half of the cheese.  Layer with remaining tortillas, sour cream, remaining ground beef mixture and remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

THIS IS DELICIOUS!  ENJOY!



4 comments:

Michelle said...

I will have to try this on les garcons - I am sure they would love it(me too).

Sparkling Like A Diamond said...

Yes...they would love it and you can sneak the spinach in and they won't even know it!

Sonya Loper said...

Looks divine! We actually had this at one of our Cooking Club gatherings - I loved it! Thank you for reminding me of this recipe.Happy Summer Friend!

brenda said...

We're big fans of anything Mex around here! I'll sub in those Boca faux-meat crumbles for the beef, as you know:):) but I bet with all the other fab flavors, nobody will know! And so what if they did:):)?

Oh, no. Now there's another cookbook to buy...when will it end? I only have about 300:(:(...I'm addicted...