Thursday, November 7, 2013

Baked Squash Casserole



Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday.  Beyond cooking and eating it requires you to be thankful and that is a GOOD thing!  I love preparing the hearty food and the smells it brings to my kitchen.  If you have followed my blog you know that I prepare well in advance for Thanksgiving.  The baked squash you see above is one of my all time favorites and so easy to prepare.  Give this a try.  Your family won't be disappointed!

Baked Squash Casserole - Preheat oven to 350 degrees

6 medium yellow squash, sliced in rounds
2 teaspoons salt
1 stick unsalted butter
4 ounces cheddar cheese
8 ounces sour cream
1/2 white onion, chopped and cooked until translucent
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs (I like the seasoned type)

Place squash and salt in a pan.  Cover with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until tender.  Drain squash and return to pan.  Add 1/2 stick butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, sauteed onions and Parmesan cheese.  Combine and pour into a greased casserole dish.  Top with bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.  Bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love squash casserole and squash in general. I haven't seen yellow squash here, which I find odd because I can get every other type.