Tuesday, February 18, 2014

SIGNS OF SPRING AND A FEW FUN RECIPES

This is a spring arrangement I made for our side "friend" entry door.  I was so happy to find the fisherman's basket and then the flowers, apple, lotus pods and very realistic orchids. This makes me smile and think of spring.


Put your seat belt on.  Lots of random things to talk about...but all fun so let's see what I have been doing.


These are NO BAKE Chocolate cookies that I made for a Valentine's luncheon....so yummy.  Recipe below.



 These are White Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites...so easy and so good.



Greek Salad with an oregano vinaigrette.  This salad is one that I have made since Mr. Sparkling and I married.  While there are lots of yummy ingredients, I think the dressing sends this salad over the top.



This arrangement was a prayer.  I needed a centerpiece for a luncheon but did not have a budget.  Hmmm....how do you pull flowers out of a hat?  Luckily, a few weeks previous to the luncheon, I purchased these flowers for my porch.  As luck would have it, they still looked pretty good so I mixed them with an ivy plant that I had and surrounded everything with some gold colored Spanish moss. I will say it makes me think Spring!





Oh my goodness!  I need large plants and I need them NOW!  I am feeling like I am in a fish bowl in my new house.  This Southern Magnolia would grow to be very large...maybe too large but I am trying to decide if I would mind.  Lots to ponder.

Plans to add LOTS of hydrangeas to our landscape are in order.  While I found these blue beauties, I am on the lookout for the Endless Summer variety as they bloom more!  I want a sea of hydrangeas.  Hello shovel!

And now, here are the recipes.



NO BAKE CHOCOLATE COOKIES

2 cups sugar
½ cup milk
½ cup butter
3 cups instant oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons cocoa

Bring to a boil sugar, milk and butter.  In a bowl combine oatmeal, vanilla and cocoa.  Pour hot mixture in bowl and stir.  Drop by teaspoonful onto a cookie sheet.  Cookies will harden as they cool.  



White Chocolate Peanut Butter Bites

4 cups crisp white cereal
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
4 cups (24 oz.) white chocolate morsels, melted

Mix cereal, marshmallows, peanut butter and peanuts in a large bowl with a spatula.  Melt the white chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, or in the microwave on High for two minutes.  Pour the white chocolate over the cereal mixture and quickly mix to coat.  Spread the cereal mixture on a sheet of waxed paper and let stand until cool and firm.  Break into small pieces and store in an airtight container.


GREEK SALAD WITH OREGANO VINAIGRETTE

1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned and torn into small, bite sized pieces
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes (or by all means homegrown tomatoes when possible)
1 can pitted black olives, drained
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup  drained capers

Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Mix well, toss with salad

OK, THAT IS ALL I HAVE FOR NOW.  Still working on the new table and chairs.... hoping to have the seat cushions soon.  

2 comments:

Michelle said...

The arrangements are really pretty, especially the one in the basket. I will have to make the Salad for SeaOats, of course he would pick the feta out but that would be more for me.

Mimi said...

Love, love the basket!